qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] emulated ARM performance vs real processor ?

From: Julien Heyman
Subject: [Qemu-devel] emulated ARM performance vs real processor ?
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:32:06 +0200

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had some data regarding the relative performance of any given ARM board emulated in QEMU versus the real thing. Yes, I do know this depends a lot on the host PC running qemu, but some ballpark/example figures would help. Say, I emulate a 400 Mhz ARM9 processor on a Core2Duo laptop @ 2 Ghz, what kind of performance/timing ratio should I expect, one way or the other ? For example, for boot time.
I have no idea whether the overhead of emulation is over-compensated by the huge processing power of the host compared to the real HW target, and by which factor.

Regards,
Julien