qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] emulated ARM performance vs real processor ?

From: David Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] emulated ARM performance vs real processor ?
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 17:10:11 +0100

On 2 September 2011 17:04, Julien Heyman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks Dave.
> I use system emulation, and my main concern is "just" to know that the
> actual board will run faster than the emulation. So based on your example,
> and even though my target board (mini2440) is nowhere as fast as a Panda
> board, this should be the case by a comfortable margin.

OK, but be careful - you will occasionally trip over something where the
emulation of it is particularly dire and the real board might be faster;
for example with the default flags SD card writes can be a factor of 10 slower
than real hardware, so relying on the real hardware always being faster
is dangerous. You'll probably get similar CPU emulation artefacts where
there are some instructions that are particularly nasty to emulate but
really cheap on the hardware.

Dave