qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] About hotplug multifunction

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] About hotplug multifunction
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:05:01 -0700

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 10:32 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 03:08:21AM -0400, Amos Kong wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm working on hotplug pci multifunction.
> >
> > 1. qemu cmdline:
> > ./x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -snapshot -m 2000
> > /home/kvm_autotest_root/images/rhel61-64-virtio.qcow2 -vnc :0 -monitor
> > unix:/tmp/a,server,nowait --enable-kvm -net none
> >
> > 2. script to add virtio-blk devices:
> > for i in `seq 1 7` 0;do
> > qemu-img create /tmp/resize$i.qcow2 1G -f qcow2
> > echo drive_add 0x6.$i id=drv$i,if=none,file=/tmp/resize$i.qcow2 | nc -U
> > /tmp/a
> > echo device_add
> > virtio-blk-pci,id=dev$i,drive=drv$i,addr=0x6.$i,multifunction=on | nc -U
> > /tmp/a
> > done

I don't think it should work this way, there shouldn't be special
intrinsic meaning that hotplugging func 0 makes the whole device appear.
Perhaps we need a notify= device option so we can add devices without
notifying the guest, then maybe a different command to cause the pci
slot notification.

> > 3. script to add virio-nic devices:
> > for i in `seq 1 7` 0;do
> > echo netdev_add tap,id=drv$i | nc -U /tmp/a
> > echo device_add
> > virtio-net-pci,id=dev$i,netdev=drv$i,addr=0x6.$i,multifunction=on | nc -U
> > /tmp/a
> > done
> >
> > 4. current qemu behaviors
> > 4.1. add func 1~7 one by one, then add func 0
> > virtio-nic : success, all funcs are added
> > virtio-blk : success
> >
> > 4.2. add func 0~7 one by one
> > virtio-nic : failed, only func 0 is added
> > virtio-blk : success
> >
> > 4.3. removing any single func in monitor
> > virtio-nic: func 0 are not found in 'lspci', func 1~7 also exist. eth1~eth7
> > also exist.
> > virtio-blk: func 0 are not found in 'lspci', func 1~7 also exist. the
> > device. /dev/vda disappears,
> >               vdb,vdc,vde,vdf,vdg,vdh,vdi,vdj also exist. If I re-add 8
> > funcs to guest, they all works.
> >               # lspci (00:06.1 ~ 00:06.7 exist, 00:06.0 doesn't exit)
> >               00:06.1 SCSI storage controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio block
> > device (rev ff)

We shouldn't be able to remove single funcs of a multifunction device,
imho.

> something I noted when readin our acpi code:
> we currently pass eject request for function 0 only:
>                Name (_ADR, nr##0000)
> We either need a device per function there (acpi 1.0),
> send eject request for them all, or use ffff
> as function number (newer acpi, not sure which version).
> Need to see which guests (windows,linux) can handle which form.

I'd guess we need to change that to ffff.

> > qemu sends an acpi event to guest, then guest will remove all funcs in the
> > slot.
> > linux-2.6/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_glue.c:
> > static int disable_device(struct acpiphp_slot *slot) {
> >     list_for_each_entry(func, &slot->funcs, sibling) {
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. why func1~7 still can be found after hot-remove? is it same as real
> > hardware?

I think we want to behave the same as adding and removing a complete
physical devices, which means all the functions get added and removed
together.  Probably the only time individual functions disappear on real
hardware is poking chipset registers to hide and expose sub devices.  It
may not be necessary to make them atomically [in]accessible, but we
should treat them as a set.

> > 2. why the func 1~7 could not be added to guest (addingfunc 0~7 one by one)?
> > 3. how about this interface to hotplug/hot-unplug multifunction:
> >    1) Add func 1-7 by monitor, add func 0, then send an acpi event to
> > notice guest
> >    2) Remove func0, send an acpi event to guest. (all funcs can be removed)

I think I'd prefer an explicit interface.  Thanks,

Alex