qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Plan for moving forward with QOM

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Plan for moving forward with QOM
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:00:12 -0500

On 09/16/2011 05:12 AM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
Am 15.09.2011 16:11, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
An example is a NIC with nvram that stores a mac address.  In QOM, the guest
could change the mac address, then a user could hot unplug the device, and then
hot plug the device into a different PCI slot.  The path is now different but
the device name has not change.

Maybe then the device name shouldn't default to something that looks
like a path but rather something like "#foo-1" where "foo" is a device
name and "1" a counter for devices of the same type (I'm reusing Jan's #
notation in order to avoid clashes with user specified names, but that's
a detail). I guess a name like that would actually be relatively
convenient to use from a user interface like HMP.

Yeah, I was thinking about this myself yesterday. To avoid confusion, we could just make the names more or less random. That would ensure that no one used them directly.

I would expect people to use paths in HMP. A nice advantage of paths is that you can autocomplete them in HMP.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Kevin