qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC] New Migration Protocol using Visitor Interface

From: Michael Roth
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New Migration Protocol using Visitor Interface
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:41:41 -0500

OVERVIEW

This patch series implements a QEMUFile Visitor class that's intended to
abstract away direct calls to qemu_put_*/qemu_get_* for save/load functions.
Currently this is done by always creating a
QEMUFileInputVisitor/QEMUFileOutputVisitor pair with each call to
qemu_fopen_ops() and maintaining a QEMUFile->I/O Visitor mapping. save/load
functions that are to be converted would them simply use lookup routines to get
a Visitor based on their QEMUFile arguments. Once these save/load functions are
all converted, we can then change the interfaces in bulk and switch over to
passing in the Visitor directly.

An example conversion of Slirp, which still uses old-style save/load routines,
is included as part of this series. Anthony I believe has VMState converted
over to using Visitors, so theoretically all VMStatified devices are good to go
(Anthony: if that's the case feel free to rebase on this or point me to the
repo to pull in, and I'll work off the resulting branch).

PLANS

Ultimately, the goal is to implement a new migration protocol that is
self-describing, such that incompatibilities or migration errors can be more
easilly detected. Currently, a simple change in data types for a particular
device can introduce subtle bugs that won't be detected by the target, since
the target interprets the data according to it's own expectation of what those
data types are. Currently the plan is to use ASN.1 BER in place of QEMUFile.

By using a Visitor interface for migration, we also gain the ability to
generate a migration schema (via, say, a JSONSchemaVisitor). This is similar to
the VMState schema generator in Anthony's "Add live migration unit tests"
series (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/97754/focus=97754),
except that it is applicable to both VMState and old-style save/load functions.

There is still quite a bit a work to get to that point. Anthony addressed some
of the issues on the VMState side of things in the aforementioned series, and I
believe he already has some patches that convert VMState over to using visitors
insteads of qemu_put_*/qemu_get_* directly. That being the case, what's left is:

1) Convert old-style save/load functions over to using visitors. I'm not sure
what the best approach is for this. We basically have 2 options: either by
converting them to VMState, or converting the functions over to using visitors,
such as with the example slirp conversion. Even if we do option 2 it would
likely need to be done in 2 phases:

phase 1: a mechanical conversion where we basically replace each
qemu_put*/qemu_get* with a visit_*. This allows use to plop in a new, say
BERVisitor to switch to using the new migration protocol. It should also be
possible to do this without breaking migration compatibility with older
versions. It does not however result in a well-specified schema if we were to
plop in, say, a JSONSchemaVisitor. This is where we need phase 2.

phase 2: Currently, runtime state modifies our "schema" the way things are
currently done. Slirp instance and virtqueue enumeration, for instance:

slirp/slirp.c:
    for (ex_ptr = slirp->exec_list; ex_ptr; ex_ptr = ex_ptr->ex_next)
        if (ex_ptr->ex_pty == 3) {
            struct socket *so;
            so = slirp_find_ctl_socket(slirp, ex_ptr->ex_addr,
                                       ntohs(ex_ptr->ex_fport));
            if (!so)
                continue;

            qemu_put_byte(f, 42);
            slirp_socket_save(f, so);
        }

hw/virtio.c:
    for (i = 0; i < VIRTIO_PCI_QUEUE_MAX; i++) {
        if (vdev->vq[i].vring.num == 0)
            break;

        qemu_put_be32(f, vdev->vq[i].vring.num);
        qemu_put_be64(f, vdev->vq[i].pa);
        qemu_put_be16s(f, &vdev->vq[i].last_avail_idx);
        if (vdev->binding->save_queue)
            vdev->binding->save_queue(vdev->binding_opaque, i, f);
    }

To be able to build a schema around this we'd need to do a visit_start_array()
or visit_start_list(), to denote a list of entries, and ideally we'd also
describe structure of these entries. But often there is no structure of these
entries...they may just be values taken from various data structures. So,
either we do hacky things like using visitor intefaces to create "fake" structs
(we say we're dealing with a struct when we're really not), or we actually put
these into an intermediate struct which we then use to assign to store/load
migration fields from.

phase 2 sounds a whole lot like converting over to VMState. So I think we'll
only want to go with option 2 in places where converting to VMState is not
practical/planned. Or we can hold off on the phase 2 stuff and just focus on
getting the new protocol in place ASAP. After which, we can rework things to
support generating a well-specified schema.

2) Once the conversion stuff is done, we can modify the save/load interfaces in
bulk to accept a Visitor in place of a QEMUFile (but continue using the old
protocol/QEMUFile*Visitor for the time being)

3) Implement migration capabilities negotiation. This was discussed to some
extent in the XBZRLE v4 thread
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-08/msg01155.html), basically
having a set of migration capabilities that can be queried via QMP. Management
tools would then choose the optimal migration settings from the intersection of
these.

4) Implement the BERVisitor and make this the default migration protocol.

Most of the work will be in 1), though with the implementation in this series
we should be able to do it incrementally. I'm not sure if the best approach is
doing the mechanical phase 1 conversion, then doing phase 2 sometime after 4),
doing phase 1 + 2 as part of 1), or just doing VMState conversions which gives
basically the same capabilities as phase 1 + 2.

Thoughts?

 Makefile                        |    4 +-
 Makefile.objs                   |   19 +-
 cutils.c                        |    8 +
 hw/hw.h                         |   20 ++
 qapi/qapi-visit-core.c          |   78 ++++++
 qapi/qapi-visit-core.h          |   30 ++
 qapi/qemu-file-input-visitor.c  |  350 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 qapi/qemu-file-input-visitor.h  |   26 ++
 qapi/qemu-file-output-visitor.c |  353 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 qapi/qemu-file-output-visitor.h |   26 ++
 qemu-common.h                   |    1 +