qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New Migration Protocol using Visitor Interface

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New Migration Protocol using Visitor Interface
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 08:46:54 +0200

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:41:41AM -0500, Michael Roth wrote:
> OVERVIEW
>
> This patch series implements a QEMUFile Visitor class that's intended to
> abstract away direct calls to qemu_put_*/qemu_get_* for save/load functions.
> Currently this is done by always creating a
> QEMUFileInputVisitor/QEMUFileOutputVisitor pair with each call to
> qemu_fopen_ops() and maintaining a QEMUFile->I/O Visitor mapping. save/load
> functions that are to be converted would them simply use lookup routines to
> get a Visitor based on their QEMUFile arguments. Once these save/load
> functions are all converted, we can then change the interfaces in bulk and
> switch over to passing in the Visitor directly.
>
> An example conversion of Slirp, which still uses old-style save/load
> routines, is included as part of this series. Anthony I believe has VMState
> converted over to using Visitors, so theoretically all VMStatified devices
> are good to go (Anthony: if that's the case feel free to rebase on this or
> point me to the repo to pull in, and I'll work off the resulting branch).
>
> PLANS
>
> Ultimately, the goal is to implement a new migration protocol that is
> self-describing, such that incompatibilities or migration errors can be more
> easilly detected. Currently, a simple change in data types for a particular
> device can introduce subtle bugs that won't be detected by the target, since
> the target interprets the data according to it's own expectation of what
> those data types are. Currently the plan is to use ASN.1 BER in place of
> QEMUFile.
>
> By using a Visitor interface for migration, we also gain the ability to
> generate a migration schema (via, say, a JSONSchemaVisitor). This is similar
> to the VMState schema generator in Anthony's "Add live migration unit tests"
> series (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/97754/focus=97754),
> except that it is applicable to both VMState and old-style save/load
> functions.
>
> There is still quite a bit a work to get to that point. Anthony addressed
> some of the issues on the VMState side of things in the aforementioned
> series, and I believe he already has some patches that convert VMState over
> to using visitors insteads of qemu_put_*/qemu_get_* directly. That being the
> case, what's left is:
>
> 1) Convert old-style save/load functions over to using visitors. I'm not sure
> what the best approach is for this. We basically have 2 options: either by
> converting them to VMState, or converting the functions over to using
> visitors, such as with the example slirp conversion. Even if we do option 2
> it would likely need to be done in 2 phases:
>
> phase 1: a mechanical conversion where we basically replace each
> qemu_put*/qemu_get* with a visit_*. This allows use to plop in a new, say
> BERVisitor to switch to using the new migration protocol. It should also be
> possible to do this without breaking migration compatibility with older
> [...]

Yes, I think this creates much more work than an upfront conversion
of the protocol to BER, then cleaning up interfaces, would be.

Here are some suggestions:

- Let's make the protocol be BER directly.
  As a first step, use a single octet string for
  the whole of data. Next, start splitting this up.

- Don't try to use arrays at all. They don't make sense
  in either jason or asn. Instead, use sets for unordered
  data and sequences for ordered data.

- Most data should be unordered: we don't normally care
  in which order we get device attributes.
  So we would have set of sequences, and
  each sequence is attribute name (ascii string) + attribute data

- This does not discuss how we will handle cross version
  migration in a lot of detail. Presumably you expect capability magic to
  work for this. However this does not work for migration to file.
  A self describing format makes a much simpler solution possible:
  separating attributes which destination must parse from those
  it can skip safely. If destination sees an attribute
  that was marked as must parse and does not recognize it,
  migration fails. If not, just skip the attribute.

--
MST