qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Spice-devel] viewing continuous guest virtual memory a

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Spice-devel] viewing continuous guest virtual memory as continuous in qemu
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:10:48 +0200

On 10/03/2011 10:37 AM, Alon Levy wrote:

>  Hi,
>  won't there be an overhead for rendering on a non continuous
>  surface? Will it be worthwhile comparing to not creating the
>  surface?

If I use a scatter-gather list there is overhead of allocating and
copying the surface whenever I want to synchronize. Minimally once
to copy from guest to host, and another copy from host to guest
for any update_area. (we can only copy the required area.

If I use page remapping like remap_file_pages does, I don't think
there is any overhead for rendering. There is overhead for doing
the remap_file_pages calls, but they are minimal (or so the man page
says). I should benchmark this.

It's not trivial; and kvm and smp magnify the cost. It shouldn't be done as part of normal rendering (setup is okay).