qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Integrating Dynamips and GNS3 UDP tunnels (Patches)

From: Benjamin Epitech
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Integrating Dynamips and GNS3 UDP tunnels (Patches)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 02:08:15 +0900

GNS3 team developed a GUI in order to inter-connect different emulated hardware. In order
to achieve a network inter-connection between each hosts, one single protocol is used: an
UDP tunneling protocol introduced by Dynamips (a cisco hardware emulator).

Since the beginning, GNS3 supports Qemu by providing patches for its users, these patches
bring to Qemu the implementation of Dynamips UDP tunneling protocol.

As GNS3 improves and now supports VirtualBox, it should be time to free users of the assle
of having to patch Qemu themselves. FreeBSD integrated our patches in the ports tree, we
ship a patched Qemu for Windows, and we're now looking forward to integrate those patches
upstream.

Here are the patches that apply on the latest release of Qemu, I hereby submit them for your
approval or not.

1) Basic patch in order to build the new source file
http://code.gns3.net/qemu-patches/file/6a927b6cdaf8/Makefile_objs.patch

2) Parse -net udp
http://code.gns3.net/qemu-patches/file/6a927b6cdaf8/net_c.patch

3) New NET_CLIENT_TYPE_UDP macro
http://code.gns3.net/qemu-patches/file/6a927b6cdaf8/net_h.patch

4) New source code file, implementation of the UDP tunneling protocol
http://code.gns3.net/qemu-patches/file/6a927b6cdaf8/net_udp_c.patch

5) Corresponding header file
http://code.gns3.net/qemu-patches/file/6a927b6cdaf8/net_udp_h.patch

The hw_e1000_c.patch is no longer needed, it was a dirty hack that we kept for too long.
The block_raw-win32_c.patch fixes a minor issue that arises only on Windows, it may deserve
another topic.

Please include me in the replies as I am not subscribed to the list.

Regards,

Benjamin
GNS3 contributor