qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU + ARMMP11Core combination does not wo rk

From: TusharK
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU + ARMMP11Core combination does not wo rk
Date: 7 Oct 2011 05:03:16 -0000

Hi Peter,
Thanks for reply.
I seek help from you because I am sort of stuck. As kernel image does not get executed by QEMU. I tried single stepping but I could not debug the initial assembly code. I do not know why. My breakpoint never hits. I would like to use ARM11MPcore because my software will be running on ARM11MPCOre when the hardware is available.

Can you please help me in resolving this? If you suspect the configuration is having problem, then can you please share me the configuration file which you test for kernel 2.6.39.3 or let me know what are the mandatary changes for the kernel? I used the default file configuration which is present in the kernel itself i.e. realview-smp-defconfig under arch/arm/configs. I did not make any changes to this configuration and expected that it will work.

Can you please comment on this and let me know how can I proceed? It would be good if you could also try this at your end.

Thanks & Regards,
Tushar

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 13:43:52 +0530 wrote
>On 6 October 2011 04:43, TusharK wrote:

> (1) Does your kernel boot on the real hardware?

> I do not have real hardware to test my kernel. But what I did was, I

> downloaded pre-built kernel image from

> http://code.google.com/p/smp-on-qemu/downloads/list website and

> tried to run using QEMU, it boots but my kernel 2.6.39.3 does not boot.

If somebody else's kernel boots but yours does not then the chances

are very high that there is a problem with your kernel (probably

a wrong config) which you'll need to debug the same way you'd

debug this kind of misconfiguration on real hardware. Connecting

an ARM gdb up to qemu and singlestepping kernel startup may be

helpful.

> Even decompressing kernel print itself is not coming and hence

> I suspect something is wrong with wither kernel or QEMU.

If there's no output of the "Uncompressing the kernel" message

this is almost certainly a kernel configuration or compilation

problem -- QEMU's serial port code is pretty heavily tested.

(Why are you using the 11MPCore model anyway, just out of interest?)

-- PMM

Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!