qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] dump memory when host pci device is used by

From: Wen Congyang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] dump memory when host pci device is used by guest
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 20:25:44 +0800

于 2011/10/7 18:16, Jan Kiszka 写道:
On 2011-10-07 11:46, Wen Congyang wrote:
Currently, virsh dump uses monitor command migrate to dump guest's memory
to file, and we can use crash to analyze the file.

Unfortunately, virsh dump can not work if guest uses host pci device. The
reason is that the device's status is also needed to migrate to remote machine,
and the host pci device's status is not stored in qemu. So it is unmigratable.

I think we can  we can add a option to qmp command migrate(eg: skip) to allow
the user to skip the check, and this option should be used only when dumping
the guest's memory.

Why not simply attach gdb? That works independently of migration.

If qemu has some problem, we can use gdb to debug it. But if guest os has problem (eg:kernel panic and kdump does not work), we should dump guest's memory and use
crash to analyze.

Thanks
Wen Congyang

Jan