qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is realview-pb-a8 fully supported ?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is realview-pb-a8 fully supported ?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 11:48:23 +0100

On 9 October 2011 09:28, Francis Moreau <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to use qemu to emulate the ARM realview-pb-a8 and more
> specifically I'd like to boot using the SD interface.
>
> However it looks like some devices are not emulated at all on this
> platform.

Correct; not all devices are emulated.

> The "mmci" host driver needs some gpio in order to work.
>
> Is that correct that with qemu 0.14.1, I can't use the SD card interface ?

You need a newer QEMU. The GPIO modules and the wiring for
the MMC card status outputs should be present in QEMU 0.15.
0.14.1 has a number of known ARM bugs (especially in Neon
and VFP emulation) and I do not recommend it for ARM targets.

NB: when booting off SD card make sure you use
"-drive if=sd,cache=writeback,file=your-sd.img", otherwise you
will get the writethrough cache and really poor I/O performance.
[the slight catch is that if your *host* system crashes you
may get disk corruption, but typically for ARM emulation use
cases that is acceptable.]

-- PMM