qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] dump memory when host pci device is used by

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] dump memory when host pci device is used by guest
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:22:32 +0200

On 2011-10-10 09:17, Wen Congyang wrote:
> At 10/10/2011 03:01 PM, Jan Kiszka Write:
>> On 2011-10-10 08:59, Wen Congyang wrote:
>>> At 10/10/2011 02:52 PM, Jan Kiszka Write:

>>> ‘gdb path fail /wrt essential requirements’
>>>
>>> what does it mean?
>>
>> That you explain why reading reading memory and processor states via the
>> remote gdb interface and dumping it into a proper core file cannot be
>> made working for you.
>
> First, I think crash can not analyze such core file. But it is not very
> important.
>
> What is remote gdb interface?

man qemu -> gdb.

> Do you mean that: the supporter uses gdb from another machine

Or locally. There are various transports possible.

> to connect to customer's machine and get the data? If so, this way can not be
> used when the customer needs to dump the guest's memory automatically when
> watchdog timeouts.

It is just another channel that can conceptually be used like the
monitor, by a management app like libvirt, directly or indirectly via a
scripted gdb frontend, or also by a human who wants to save some ongoing
gdb session for later analysis. This dual use make such an approach the
preferred one.

Jan