qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is realview-pb-a8 fully supported ?

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is realview-pb-a8 fully supported ?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:39:12 +0200

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Peter Maydell
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10 October 2011 14:48, Francis Moreau <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Peter Maydell
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps your kernel is configured to load in the higher 256MB
>>> address range
>>
>> hmm which options do you have in mind ?
>
> Hmm, I thought there was an option for this but I can't find it
> in the config, so I must have been misremembering somehow.
>
>> When I say "it doesn't work", it means that nothing happen when
>> starting qemu: no trace, it looks like it's running an infinite loop.
>
> Not even "Uncompressing the kernel" ?

yes uncompressing the kernel works. Below is what I'm seeing exactly:

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

> If you want to track down what's going on then you'll need to
> connect an ARM gdb up to qemu and single step through the boot
> process, I'm afraid.

Ok but that means that I understand the code I'm going to step through :-/

>> BTW I'm wondering which kernel source I should use to build kernels
>> for such plateforms (realview, vexpress, versatile) ? I'm currently
>> using the source from kernel.org (well similar since this server seems
>> really dead). but I'm not sure if it's a good idea...
>
> I think the mainline kernel sources should in theory work
> (in particular if they work with 512MB then that's a good
> sign...) but I'm not a kernel expert; mostly I use other peoples'
> prebuilt ones.

ok, but wouldn't you recommend to use the kernel from Linaro ? ;)

Thanks
--
Francis