qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FYI: Need to a make clean due to recently pushed commit

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FYI: Need to a make clean due to recently pushed commit
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 09:14:09 +0000

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> Due to:
>
>  commit e3193601c84558c303b1773379da76fce80c0a56
>  Author: Anthony Liguori <address@hidden>
>  Date:   Fri Sep 2 12:34:47 2011 -0500
>
>     qapi: use middle mode in QMP server
>
> It'll be necessary to do a make clean if you have a tree that has a build
> from before this commit.
>
> If you get compile errors about "qmp-commands-old.h" or "qmp-commands.h",
> this is most likely your problem.

This is most unfortunate, it will make bisection across that point
slower for all future generations, forever. What is the root cause,
reusing a file name which was previously generated, removed and then
at some point became non-generated? How can we avoid this in the
future, would it help for example to ban such behavior, requiring that
when removing or renaming files, the obsolete names must be added to
.gitignore or checkpatch.pl?