qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/nand hw/onenand and read-only

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/nand hw/onenand and read-only
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 15:38:46 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> On 18.10.11 11:23 , "ext Markus Armbruster" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>These guys have been converted to qdev relatively recently.
>>
>>I wonder what happens when they use a drive defined with "-drive
>>if=none,readonly".
>>
>>If that's not a valid configuration, we better reject read-only drives,
>>like ide_init_drive() does.
>
> I'm not an expert with QEMU command line options; how do you pass such a
> drive to a NAND device? With "if=mtd" I get the following which I guess is
> expected result:
>
> $ qemu-system-arm -M beagle -drive if=mtd,file=nand.img,readonly
> qemu: readonly flag not supported for drive with this interface

Yes, that way works:

    $ qemu-system-arm -drive if=mtd,file=tmp.qcow2,readonly
    qemu-system-arm: -drive if=mtd,file=tmp.qcow2,readonly: readonly not
supported by this bus type

But try this way:

    $ qemu-system-arm -drive if=none,file=tmp.qcow2,readonly,id=foo -device
nand,drive=foo
    Kernel image must be specified

Grr, force it:

    $ qemu-system-arm -drive if=none,file=tmp.qcow2,readonly,id=foo -device
nand,drive=foo -kernel /dev/null
    qemu: hardware error: nand_device_init: Unsupported NAND block size.
    [...]

Note that I didn't bother supplying a drive with sensible size.  If I
did, I guess I'd get nand coupled to a read-only drive.  Easy enough for
you to try :)