qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] gcc auto-omit-frame-pointer vs msvc longjmp

From: Kai Tietz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] gcc auto-omit-frame-pointer vs msvc longjmp
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:48:10 +0200

2011/10/20 xunxun <address@hidden>:
> Hi, all
>
> I think this issue causes the gdb crash on XP.
> You can see the thread: http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2011-10/msg00056.html
>
> My many friends and I can reproduce this crash issue, but no problem on Win7.
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Bob Breuer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Kai Tietz wrote:

>>> Yes, I mean _setjmp3 (pasto from headers and missed the second line
>>> prototyping _setjmp3).
>>> I repeat myself here.  setjmp() has an hidden arguement, which is
>>> passed on x86 on stack.  By not passing this required argument, setjmp
>>> will take a random-value from stack.  In your case 'i'.  btw if you
>>> would pre-initialize 'i' with zero, I would assume you won't see a
>>> crash, but anyway this is just by chance.
>>> For this I suggest to use here _setjmp3 instead, as here
>>> second-argument is documented as being present.
>>>
>>> Btw I tested your code with i686-pc-mingw32 version 4.6.x and 4.7.x
>>> gcc version.  With my suggested pattern, I don't see a crash for your
>>> provide test-code with, or without zero-ing ebp.
>>

>> We probably have a difference in build or run environment.  I've
>> double-checked with another machine and can get the same crash in
>> longjmp when running the test executable on both WinXP and Win2k, but
>> not on Win7.  So it looks like Microsoft may have changed this "feature"
>> somewhere between WinXP and Win7.
>>
>> The msvcrt implementation of longjmp (or at least the one I'm looking
>> at) does a ebp based access using the saved value of ebp.  Here's the
>> relevant disassembly of longjmp:
>>
>> 0x7801e6f3 in longjmpex () from C:\WINNT\system32\msvcrt.dll
>> (gdb) disas
>> Dump of assembler code for function longjmpex:
>>   0x7801e6ef <+0>:     mov    0x4(%esp),%ebx
>> => 0x7801e6f3 <+4>:     mov    (%ebx),%ebp
>>   0x7801e73d <+78>:    call   0x7800bd5e <abnormal_termination+56>
>>   0x7800bd5e <+56>:    push   %ebx
>>   0x7800bd5f <+57>:    push   %ecx
>>   0x7800bd60 <+58>:    mov    $0x7803dc64,%ebx
>> => 0x7800bd65 <+63>:    mov    0x8(%ebp),%ecx
>>
>> It crashes on the access of 0x8(%ebp).  Those are the only 2 places
>> where this version of longjmp touches ebp.  Is it possible to force a
>> stackframe by just adding a suitable attribute to either the setjmp
>> function prototype, or the function which calls setjmp?
>>
>> Bob
>>

> --
> Best Regards,
> xunxun

This now makes sense. I use here Vista 64-bit, and Win7 64-bit and I
didn't found the issue.  But well, it is indeed related to different
msvcrt-version.

So there might be some need to have for a function using setjmp the
frame-pointer enabled.  I can confirm this by an older msvcrt.dll
version on my 64-bit box, too.

So bug can be re-opened.

Thanks,
Kai