qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi heterogenous CPU archs for SoC sim?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Multi heterogenous CPU archs for SoC sim?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 00:05:05 +0200

Am 21.10.2011 08:58, schrieb Peter Maydell:
> On 20 October 2011 23:51, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Renesas announced
>> the R-Car H1 this week, a SoC with one SH4A core and four ARM Cortex-A9
>> cores.
>
> Does it expose the SH4 to apps/OSes, or is it mostly used for
> power management or similar ignorable duties?

The predecessors were all SuperH based only, and the ARM cores don't
seem to have VFPv3 so the SH4A would feature a 128-bit FPU.
As for what automative customers may do with it once available, I have
no clue. My focus is on investigating where QEMU has architectural
shortcomings or undocumented assumptions blocking embedded development
and addressing these.

> (For several
> of the ARM boards we currently just ignore the fact that the real
> h/w has a Cortex-M3 doing power management type stuff.)

Mind to share which boards? I'm only aware of the NXP LPC43xx asymmetric
SoC (Cortex-M4 + Cortex-M0), which still is in development stage. The
datasheet doesn't really enlighten me how such a combo is supposed to
work in shared memory: Do all ARM cores share a reset vector (or what
you call it on arm) so that one has to branch based on CPUID to do
different tasks on different cores?

Andreas