qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about intermediate code generation in qemu (tc

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about intermediate code generation in qemu (tcg)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:39:58 +0100

On 24 October 2011 07:46, Carter Cheng <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was wondering if someone could help me understand some aspects of the
> current qemu code generation routines. How are floating point and SSE ops
> currently handled? I do not see specific tcg routines for these cases(the
> README seems to indicate that FP and vector ops are not handled using the
> current IL).

FP instructions are generally turned into code which calls out to
a "helper function" written in C which emulates the floating point
arithmetic -- see target-i386/op_helper.c for the x87 ops and
target-i386/ops_sse.h for the SSE ops. (Some simple arithmetic
vector ops might be done by generating inline code; ARM does this
but I haven't checked target-i386.) IEEE arithmetic emulation
is done in fpu/ but you probably don't need to look at the actual
implementation...

In the TCG intermediate representation there's no special support
for float/double types -- they're just passed around as i32/i64.

-- PMM