qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] dump memory when host pci device is used by

From: Dave Anderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] dump memory when host pci device is used by guest
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:25:25 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
> On 10/24/2011 04:25 PM, Dave Anderson wrote:
> > > The question is that: 'virsh dump' can not be used when host pci device
> > > is used by guest. We are discussing how to fix the problem. We have
> > > determined
> > > that introduce a new monitor command dump. Jan suggested that the core
> > > file's
> > > format is gdb standard core format. Does crash support such format?  If
> > > no,
> > > is it possible to support such format?
> >
> > If you are talking about an ELF core dump of the user-space qemu-kvm process
> > running on the host, then it's certainly not supported.
>
> No, an ELF image of the guest's physical memory.

Well then that should be pretty straight forward to support.  Depending upon
how similar it would be to the "standard" kdump ELF format, the only other
issue is how to determine the physical base address at which the kernel is
loaded, in order to be able to translate the mapped kernel-text/static-data
virtual region of the x86_64 arch (the __START_KERNEL_map region).