qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Do you have a use for a tester of virtio-scsi with CD d

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Do you have a use for a tester of virtio-scsi with CD drives ?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:04:09 +0100

Hi,

> >    drive file=/dev/sg2,if=virtio -cdrom /dvdbuffer/pseudo_drive
> >  Actually everything works like a charm now. :))

> Cool.  So you might have unveiled some kernel bugs too (host crashes are
> never desirable!)

The USB drive is back at the test machine.
I'm running the planned BD-RE tests on the host system to ensure that
they work properly without qemu inbetween.

Next i will try with if=virtio.

Some questions:

In a thread on linux-hotplug, /dev/sg* is declared to be deprecated
in favor of /dev/bsg/* and /dev/sr*.
Will this become a problem ?

I did not succeed with googling for a way to get a block device
running on top of file=/dev/sg*,if=virtio.
Is this possible at all ? If so, can you give me instructions ?
(It would be the cream cap on the cake.)

The word "passthrough" does not show up in the context of drive
emulation in any documentation inside the git clone.
I only see statements about:  "passthrough" security model.
The word "virtio" is mentioned more often, but without much explanation
of -drive use cases and pitfalls. (Only docs/qdev-device-use.txt
has some more detailed information.)

Is there an external documentation emerging ?
I would like to read it and contribute my experiences.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas