qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Secure KVM

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Secure KVM
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:37:03 -0600

On 11/06/2011 02:40 PM, Sasha Levin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning on doing a small fork of the KVM tool to turn it into a
'Secure KVM' enabled hypervisor. Now you probably ask yourself, Huh?

The idea was discussed briefly couple of months ago, but never got off
the ground - which is a shame IMO.

It's easy to explain the problem: If an attacker finds a security hole
in any of the devices which are exposed to the guest, the attacker would
be able to either crash the guest, or possibly run code on the host
itself.

The solution is also simple to explain: Split the devices into different
processes and use seccomp to sandbox each device into the exact set of
resources it needs to operate, nothing more and nothing less.

Since I'll be basing it on the KVM tool, which doesn't really emulate
that many legacy devices, I'll focus first on the virtio family for the
sake of simplicity (and covering 90% of the options).

This is my basic overview of how I'm planning on implementing the
initial POC:

1. First I'll focus on the simple virtio-rng device, it's simple enough
to allow us to focus on the aspects which are important for the POC
while still covering most bases (i.e. sandbox to single file
- /dev/urandom and such).

2. Do it on a one process per device concept, where for each device
(notice - not device *type*) requested, a new process which handles it
will be spawned.

3. That process will be limited exactly to the resources it needs to
operate, for example - if we run a virtio-blk device, it would be able
to access only the image file which it should be using.

4. Connection between hypervisor and devices will be based on unix
sockets, this should allow for better separation compared to other
approaches such as shared memory.

5. While performance is an aspect, complete isolation is more important.
Security is primary, performance is secondary.

6. Share as much code as possible with current implementation of virtio
devices, make it possible to run virtio devices either like it's being
done now, or by spawning them as separate processes - the amount of
specific code for the separate process case should be minimal.

Thats all I have for now, comments are *very* welcome.

I thought about this a bit and have some ideas that may or may not help.

1) If you add device save/load support, then it's something you can potentially use to give yourself quite a bit of flexibility in changing the sandbox. At any point in run time, you can save the device model's state in the sandbox, destroy the sandbox, and then build a new sandbox and restore the device to its former state.

This might turn out to be very useful in supporting things like device hotplug and/or memory hot plug.

2) I think it's largely possible to implement all device emulation without doing any dynamic memory allocation. Since memory allocation DoS is something you have to deal with anyway, I suspect most device emulation already uses a fixed amount of memory per device. This can potentially dramatically simplify things.

3) I think virtio can/should be used as a generic "backend to frontend" transport between the device model and the tool.

4) Lack of select() is really challenging. I understand why it's not there since it can technically be emulated but it seems like a no-risk syscall to whitelist and it would make programming in a sandbox so much easier. Maybe Andrea has some comments here? I might be missing something here.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori