qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [unclassified] QEMU 1.0-rc1

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [unclassified] QEMU 1.0-rc1
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 02:02:36 +0400

On 09.11.2011 00:32, Jernej Simončič wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 8, 2011, 21:02:52, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>
>> FWIW, WinXP drivers from the latest .iso there can't be installed
>> (it fails during driver install phase, saying "No driver for this
>> hardware found at given location"), while previous version works
>> just fine, and the driver itself appears to be fine too (one can
>> replace previously installed driver binary while windows isn't
>> watching and it continues to work).  I added a note to the KVM
>> wiki page about this, at
>> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
>
> I can't confirm this - the drivers work for me both in Qemu and in
> qemu-kvm. Note however that the organisation on the ISO is weird - the
> virtio-net driver is in \XP\x86, while the rest of the drivers are in
> \WXp\x86.

These drivers works if you upgrade from previous version.  But on
clean install of winXP - at least virtio-blk (and maybe virtionet
too, I don't remember) - can't be installed.  There were several
reports about this problem on IRC too, and the solution has been
to use previous version of the drivers (where the directories are
ok).  I mean the drivers from .iso, and installing them _after_
the system has been installed already (install to IDE first, and
add virtio drive as second drive).

I installed fresh winXP just a few days ago and also hit this problem.

/mjt