qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [F.A.Q.] the advantages of a shared tool/kernel Git rep

From: Ingo Molnar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [F.A.Q.] the advantages of a shared tool/kernel Git repository, tools/perf/ and tools/kvm/
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 09:28:38 +0100

* Ted Ts'o <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 07:14:57PM +0200, Anca Emanuel wrote:

> > ? Stop trolling. If you are not familiar with perf, or other
> > tools, save your time and do some useful things.
>
> I am quite familiar with perf.  A disagreement with how things are
> done is not trolling.

Anca, Ted is not trolling me in any fashion. He is a (very
successful) tool space and kernel developer and his opinion and
experience about how tools should interact with the kernel project is
of utmost importance.

Clearly Ted thinks that filesystem tools should stay separate from
the kernel repo. I agree with him that the case for filesystem tool
integration is weaker than for deeply kernel integrated tools such as
perf or kvm and calling him a troll is not a way to settle that
honest disagreement in any case.

Thanks,

        Ingo