qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and qemu.git -> Migration + disk stress introduces

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and qemu.git -> Migration + disk stress introduces qcow2 corruptions
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 07:39:22 -0600

On 11/12/2011 04:27 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 11/11/2011 04:03 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I don't view not supporting migration with image formats as a
regression as it's never been a feature we've supported.  While there
might be confusion about support around NFS, I think it's always been
clear that image formats cannot be used.

Was there ever a statement to that effect?  It was never clear to me and
I doubt it was clear to anyone.

You literally reviewed a patch who's subject was "block: allow migration to work with image files"[1] that explained in gory detail what the problem was.

[1] http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden

Given that, I don't think this is a candidate for 1.0.

Let's just skip 1.0 and do 1.1 instead.

Let's stop being overly dramatic. You know as well as anyone that image format support up until the coroutine conversion has had enough problems that no one could practically be using them in a production environment.

Live migration is an availability feature. Up until the 1.0 release, if you cared about availability and correctness, you would not be using an image format.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori