qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and qemu.git -> Migration + disk stress introduces

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu and qemu.git -> Migration + disk stress introduces qcow2 corruptions
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:21:53 +0100

Am 14.11.2011 12:08, schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:24:22PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> If you delay the 'open' until the mgmt app issues 'cont', then you loose
>>> the ability to rollback to the source host upon open failure for most
>>> deployed versions of libvirt. We only fairly recently switched to a five
>>> stage migration handshake to cope with rollback when 'cont' fails.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> I guess reopen can fail as well, so this seems to me to be an important
>> fix but not a blocker.
>
> If if the initial open succeeds, then it is far more likely that a later
> re-open will succeed too, because you have already elminated the possibility
> of configuration mistakes, and will have caught most storage runtime errors
> too. So there is a very significant difference in reliability between doing
> an 'open at startup + reopen at cont' vs just 'open at cont'
>
> Based on the bug reports I see, we want to be very good at detecting and
> gracefully handling open errors because they are pretty frequent.

Do you have some more details on the kind of errors? Missing files,
permissions, something like this? Or rather something related to the
actual content of an image file?

I'm asking because for avoiding the former, things like access() could
be enough, whereas for the latter we'd have to do a full open.

Kevin