qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Memory sync algorithm during migration

From: Takuya Yoshikawa
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Memory sync algorithm during migration
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:21:30 +0900

Adding qemu-devel ML to CC.

Your question should have been sent to qemu-devel ML because the logic
is implemented in QEMU, not KVM.

(2011/11/11 1:35), Oliver Hookins wrote:
Hi,

I am performing some benchmarks on KVM migration on two different types of VM.
One has 4GB RAM and the other 32GB. More or less idle, the 4GB VM takes about 20
seconds to migrate on our hardware while the 32GB VM takes about a minute.

With a reasonable amount of memory activity going on (in the hundreds of MB per
second) the 32GB VM takes 3.5 minutes to migrate, but the 4GB VM never
completes. Intuitively this tells me there is some watermarking of dirty pages
going on that is not particularly efficient when the dirty pages ratio is high
compared to total memory, but I may be completely incorrect.

You can change the ratio IIRC.
Hopefully, someone who knows well about QEMU will tell you better ways.

        Takuya

Could anybody fill me in on what might be going on here? We're using libvirt
0.8.2 and kvm-83-224.el5.centos.1