qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent

From: Dor Laor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:39:30 +0200

On 11/16/2011 03:36 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 11/15/2011 04:39 PM, Ayal Baron wrote:
If you want to talk about convergence, the discussion should start
around
collecting requirements. We can then figure out if the two sets of
requirements
are strictly overlapping or if there are any requirements that are
fundamentally
in opposition.

Agreed.

So vdsm guest agent goal is to ease administration of VMs. This is not
saying much as it is quite broad so I will list what is provided today
and some things we need to add:

Assistance in VM life-cycle:
"desktopShutdown" - Shuts the VM down gracefully from within the guest.
"quiesce" - does not exist today. This is definitely a requirement for
us.

SSO support for spice sessions (automatically login into guest OS
using provided credentials):
"desktopLock" - lock current session, used when spice session gets
disconnected / before giving a new user access to spice session
"desktopLogin"
"desktopLogoff"
In addition, guest reports relevant info (currently active user,
session state)

Monitoring and inventory:
currently agent sends info periodically, which includes a lot of info
which should probably be broken down and served upon request. Info
includes -
- memory usage
- NICs info (name, hw, inet, inet6)
- appslist (list of installed apps / rpms)
- OS type
- guest hostname
- internal file systems info (path, fs type, total space, used space)

Personally I think the above should become more generic and support
user defined counters (using WMI or collectd in the guest to collect
the info and passing it via the guest agent), but that might be a
different discussion.

From qemu wiki, the following info about qemu guest agent:

It's purpose: "Implement support for QMP commands and events that
terminate and originate respectively within the guest using an agent
built as part of QEMU. "
- ties it directly to qemu, but not to specific functionality. ovirt
guest agent definitely would need to support this

In general, I would say ovirt-guest-agent is scoped to do everything
the qemu-guest-agent is and then some, so there is definitely a lot of
overlap.

We have another requirement. We need to embed the source for the guest
agent in the QEMU release tarball. This is for GPL compliance since we
want to include an ISO (eventually) that contains binaries.

This could be as simple as doing a git submodule but it would mean that
the guest agent would have to live in its own git repository. Do you all
see a problem with this?

Not that I object of placing the code within qemu but I doubt this is a requirement, we can settle w/ GPL license for the code.

A requirement of having the agent code reside within qemu is similar to some neighbors idea about kvm-tool and the kernel ...

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Anthony Liguori