qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] virtio-mmio transport

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] virtio-mmio transport
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 18:41:40 +0000

On 16 November 2011 14:33, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/14/2011 03:55 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>
>> This set of patches implements the QEMU end of the MMIO virtio transport
>> (as specified by Appendix X of the latest virtio spec from here
>> http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/virtio-spec/virtio.pdf
>> and implemented by patches which I think are going into Linux 3.2).
>
> How does this compare against hw/syborg_virtio.c?

Pawel may have more detail, but to me the significant difference
is that virtio-mmio is an implementation of a specification extension
agreed with the virtio spec maintainers, whereas syborg doesn't seem
to be mentioned in the virtio spec anywhere, so I am unsure what it
is intended to be implementing.

(There are some technical differences too, like virtio-mmio allowing
the guest to specify queue sizes and alignments; these mostly came
out of the process of agreeing the spec extension.)

-- PMM