qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent

From: Barak Azulay
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:53:11 +0200

On Wednesday 16 November 2011 17:28:16 Michael Roth wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 06:13 AM, Barak Azulay wrote:

> >> If we keep the protocol well-defined, we can get that for free. Just
> >> have every command carry its own size and a request id shich the reply
> >> also contains and suddenly you get asynchronous proxyable
> >> communication.
> >
> > Sure we can keep commands synchronized in various ways the question is do
> > we want that, there are a few down sides for that:
> > 1 - VDSM will have to pass through 2 proxies (libvirt&  qemu) in order to
> > deliver a message to the guest, this byiself is not such a big
> > disadvantage but will force us to handle much more corner-cases.
>
> Can't rule out the possibility of corner-cases resulting from this, but
> the practical way to look at it is VDSM will need handle libvirt/QMP
> protocols well. The implementation of the proxying mechanism is where
> the extra challenge comes into play, but this should be transparent to
> the protocols VDSM speaks.
>
> Implementation-wise, just to give you an idea of the work involved if we
> took this route:
>
> 1) ovirt-guest-agent would need to convert request/response payloads
> from/to QMP payloads on the guest-side, which are JSON and should,
> theoretically, mesh well with a python-based agent.

ovirt-guest-agent already uses JSON for communication with VDSM

> 2) You'd also need a schema, similar to qemu.git/qapi-schema-guest.json,
> to describe the calls you're proxying. The existing infrastructure in
> QEMU will handle all the work of marshalling/unmarshalling responses
> back to the QMP client on the host-side.
>
> It's a bit of extra work, but the benefit is unifying the
> qemu/guest-level management interface into a single place that's easy
> for QMP/libvirt to consume.

The issue is not whether it's possible or not or the amount of efforts need to
be done for that to happen, either for qemu-ga or ovirt-guest-agent this work
needs to be done.

the question is whether all comminication should go through the monitor (hence
double proxy) or ... only a subset of the commands that are closly related to
hypervisor functionality and separate it from general management-system
related actions (e.g. ovirt or any other management system that wants to
communicate to the guest).

> > 2 - looking at the qemu-ga functionality (read&  write ...) do we really
> > want to let a big chunk of data through both qemu&  libvirt rather than
> > directtly to the comsumer (VDSM)
>
> VDSM isn't the only consumer however, HMP/QMP and libvirt are consumers
> in and of themselves.

This is not the claim it was just an example, it may as well be any other
management system.

The question still remains, if we want to pass a big chunk of data, do we want
it to be passed through this double proxy layer ? personally I think it does
not belong to core hypervisor management interface.

> > 3 - When events are fired from the guest agent, the delay of passing it
> > through a double proxy will have it's latency penalty (as we have
> > experianced in the client disconnect spice event)
>
> Getting them out of the guest is probably the biggest factor, delivering
> them between processes on the host is likely a small hit in comparison.

From our experiance in the last 3 years this latency (passing a single proxy
layer, libvirt) , affected the overall functionality & behaviour. However
using libvirt as a monitor proxy also gave us some advantages, the question is
what are the advantages of passing ALL guest-agent protocol through qemu ?