qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] wiki summary

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] wiki summary
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:58:03 -0600

On 11/17/2011 10:34 AM, Barak Azulay wrote:
On Thursday 17 November 2011 02:48:50 Michael Roth wrote:
I've tried to summarize the pros/cons, points, and proposals outlined in
this thread at the following wiki:

http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Guest_agent_proposals

Please feel free to add/edit as needed. If you don't have an account on
ovirt.org let me know.

Thanks Michael, it's a good start.

A few questions about the qemu-ga's requirements:

   - same repo ? why is this a requirement ?

Or git submodule. Main reasons are that integration with QMP requires that qemu be able to generate marshaling code from a guest agent schema definition of commands/parameters, and that qemu needs to be able to consume guest agent extensions internally. A few examples that came up in this thread were opening new virtio-serial channel via agent calls, and registering device callbacks/driving state machine changes for guest agent events. Since we'd like to pursue a push-deployment model where QEMU can deploy a specific, compatible version of the agent to a bootstrapped guest (qemu-ga pre-installed via guest distro or ISO package), having code changes in-sync with repo would be necessary.

VMware has a similar model for handling guest tools upgrades, where the hypervisor pushes upgrades based on host hypervisor level:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1008907

The alternative is strict APIs with backward-compatibility with down-level agents, which complicates things tremendously on the QEMU side, and pretty much everywhere in the stack. Just keeping libvirt in sync with QMP has proven difficult and that's just on the host, with a common distro and fairly close development communities. Extending this kind of synchronization out to multiple guest distros with varying levels of guest agents makes this far harder.

   - distributable via ISO  - can you elaborate?

We'd eventually like to have an analogue to virtualbox/vmware guest tools, which ship with the hypervisor and can be deployed in a guest via an ISO made available in the guest as a cdrom when push-deployment isn't an option (guest doesnt already have some version of an agent with upgrade support installed). This is to avoid limiting support to specific distros due to lack of available packages in guest repo.

   - upgradeable via hypervisor push - by the title it sounds like it belongs
     to deployment, which sounds to me like it belongs to a higher management
     level

We'd like ability to push to be available all throughout the stack. If device X has a callback for event Y, which is only available via version Z of the guest agent, we're now reliant on layers far higher up the stack to enable low-level functionality that's beneficial at all levels.

#3 a few questions come up when I read it:
   - some may consider those primitives as a security breach

s/some/virtually everyone/ :) Yes, this is a problem that'll need to be addressed. But at the end of the day, QEMU/host *must* be trusted if there's so be any pretense of security, since we have access to everything at the end of the day. Additionally, VMware has been successfully leveraging guest file access, automatic upgrades of guest tools, and exec functionality for quite some time now.

That's not to say we don't need to examine the implications closely, but there's precedence.

   - I understand the motivation of being able to do everything on the guest
     (exe) but we need to keep in mind it's various guest OSs, and it means
     that there should be a script for every OS type. to me the option of
     having a well defined interface is much more appealing

Agreed, and we should strive for that. But rarely is an interface designed so well that it never needs to change, and however well-defined it may be, it will grow with time and that growth entails deploying new guest code.

Thanks
Barak

Thanks!