qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Add native debugger

From: Rick Hodgin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Add native debugger
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:10:36 -0800 (PST)

For i386, I'm considering writing a native debugger for QEMU that is not GDB.
It would allow a separate/new windowed interface which would show disassembly,
registers, stack, local variables, memory windows, etc., allowing the user to
single-step through code and trap opcodes like INT 1, INT 3, INT 4, etc.  It
would be invoked with something like "qemu -debugger" from the command line,
and would have a UI similar to Microsoft's Debugger in Visual Studio when no
PDB is available, but would show a similar type of disassembly form.

I was looking at the QEMU code and I can't find an obvious place where it seems
to iterate through each CPU instruction, which is where I had in mind to add a
hook.

Can someone get me pointed in the right direction?  Where will I look for
something like this:

for (;;)
{
  execute_next_instruction();