qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Work Report afaerber week 47

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Work Report afaerber week 47
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 10:55:26 +0100

[To get my first report finished, limited to one week; previous ones to
follow.]

Achievements:

[RED]

[AMBER]

[GREEN]

BNC#725008 (disk data error when using ahci to access cdrom data)
* Further investigated AHCI issues: SeaBIOS turned out innocent - it
does in fact allow to boot from IDE when AHCI available but our guest
disks always check AHCI even if booted from IDE. dd with default options
did not result in differences between IDE- and AHCI-attached discs, but
with iflag=direct it does - differences seem random. Won't make it into
SP2 now.

BNC#731086 (VUL-0: EMBARGOED: qemu heap overflow in CCID card passthru
device)
* Investigated impact (SP2 kvm package and my/Adrian's qemu rc1 package)
* Fix for SP2 was applied by Bruce.

BNC#730872 (cannot set higher screen resolution)
* Looks like a non-issue that can be closed.
* Hoping for confirmation from libvirt-savvy KVM colleagues.

upstream qemu.git
* 1x Reviewed-by (untangling different types of tests in configure)
* 1x Tested-by: Patch by Alex fixes s390x-softmmu abort during SLES SP2
Beta8 install.
* Investigated s390x virtio-zipl bootloader hang when no kernel
specified - caused by uninitialized memory.
* Tried out Coccinelle [1] for softfloat type refactoring: neat, except
no regex matches on typedefs, but ran into problems with preprocessor
macros.

[1] http://coccinelle.lip6.fr/

Miscellaneous
* Installed SLES 11 SP2 Beta9 on real s390x, quite an adventure!
* Finally got my telephone set up! +49-911-74053-183

Objectives:

+ Continue AHCI bug hunt, as prerequisite for AHCI migration testing.

+ Follow up on BNC#730763 (12.1 GNOME Live CD unable to check
installation medium) - would be handy to get a fixed .iso for AHCI.

+ My RL78 emulation uncovered a bug in subpage memory access that can
affect all architectures (accesses treated as unassigned, i.e. no-op),
will investigate.

+ Continue debugging s390x virtio-zipl bootloader.

+ Retry Coccinelle refactoring with macros overridden.

+ Investigate why the week before 12.1 failed to install with btrfs but
SP2 Beta9 as suggested by okir worked.

+ QEMU 1.0-rc4 to be released today, 1.0 final on Dec 1st. Spare some
cycles for testing and review. Determine how to proceed with packaging.

* QEMU mascot contest to close Dec 1st. ;)

+ Post-1.0 QEMU: Focus on getting migration into sane state and get
involved with qdev -> QOM rework.

* Dec 5 to 16 working from Rome again.