qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [ICON] My name is Q, Q Emu!

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [ICON] My name is Q, Q Emu!
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 01:00:13 +0100

Hey there,

Here's my entry for the QEMU Mascot Contest.

Preface on the wording: Anthony was searching for a *mascot*, to be used
as a *logo* for website and G+. As subject we were supposed to use
*icon* though. Stefan W. has been interpreting this as a Windows icon; I
don't see it that way because a mascot may well contradict the icon
design guidelines of the specific platform, e.g. Mac OS X and Haiku.
SUSE may want some green in it, who knows! An icon, from my view, would
be an image possibly (but not necessarily) derived from the logo, e.g.,
a CPU with logo on it. The logo in turn likely should show the mascot.
So my worry is not how the logo may look on Windows at 16x16 x 16
colors, and I intentionally do not include the word mark QEMU therein,
for deciding on a suitable font seems a separate matter.

My preference is for a simple, reproducible and fully scalable logo like
the MySQL dolphin [1] as opposed to the detailed Perl camel [2].

So, what's special about my contest entry?

* The red eye together with the white background and blue neck form a
color reference to commemorate the French origin of the project. :-)

* The large-shown head allows to characterize the bird better - with eye
wide open and watchful, beak closed and fluffy wild hair (no reference
intended...) it looks friendly, funny, ready at our service.

* Instead of using the letter Q as shape of the corpus, this emu is
peeking through a circular arrow, forming the letter Q with its beak.

* The arrow head is pointing towards its beak. Running makes hungry - Q
needs adequate resources.

* The closed loop with the arrow symbolizes CPU cycles and all the
loop-based processing within long-running QEMU process, as well as all
the projects evolving around it in the Open Source ecosphere.

* On the bird, eye and nostril are the only filled shapes, increasing
the "hypnotic" effect of the characteristic large red eye. The arrow by
comparison is light-colored to leave the emphasis on the bird.

* The nostril is Yin-shaped; the matching Yang would be KVM or Xen. :)

* Apart from the beak, the head is not clearly bounded, hinting at the
comparably large group of core contributors and their open-mindedness
for code refactoring and features and their (unbounded?) collective
knowledge. ;)

Last but not least, this image was created all by myself privately,
based on pictures I once took myself, in Plankstadt, Germany [3].

Enjoy,

Andreas

[1] http://www.mysql.com/
[2] http://www.perl.org/