qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using AHCI drives in qemu

From: Chris Webb
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using AHCI drives in qemu
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:42:56 +0000

Thanks for the swift reply!

"Daniel P. Berrange" <address@hidden> writes:

> Using  -drive with an if=XXX which is anything other than 'none' is the
> deprecated / legacy syntax. The way libvirt does AHCI is to use the more
> verbose/modern syntax:
>
>     -device ahci,id=ahci0
>     -drive
> if=none,file=/var/lib/libvirt/images/test/disk0.raw,format=raw,id=drive-sata0-0-0
>     -device ide-drive,bus=ahci0.0,drive=drive-sata0-0-0,id=sata0-0-0

Gosh, this is incredibly verbose for normal command line use. Whilst I can
see it's nice to have fine control over the detail (and bus/device ids) when
you need it, having to write out a command line of that length just to
attach a drive is a real pity.

I could cook up a patch to do something sane with -drive if=ahci as a more
manageable command-line alternative, but is there any chance of this being
accepted if that you're describing the compact syntax as deprecated?

Cheers,

Chris.