qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Device sandboxing

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Device sandboxing
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 12:49:26 -0500

On Friday, December 09, 2011 05:32:19 PM Paul Brook wrote:

> > > I can't help wondering if nested virtualization would be a better
> > > solution. i.e. have an outer VM that only implements a trusted
> > > subset of devices. Inside that run a VM that provides the flakey
> > > legacy device emulation you expect to be compromised.
> >
> > A few questions about this approach come to mind:
> >
> > 1. Does nested virtualization work across all the different hardware
> > assisted virtualization platforms/CPUs?
> >
> > 2. What is the additional performance overhead for nested
> > virtualization?
> > Generalizations are okay, I'm just trying to get a basic understanding.
> >
> > 3. What, if any, management concerns are there with nested
> > virtualization?
> I don't have good answers to any of these questions. Then again I doubt
> anyone has good answers for your proposed process splitting either.

That's why we're working on a prototype.  The questions weren't intended to be
adversarial, just questions that I didn't know the answers to and thought you
might ...

> Last time I checked at least one of the Intel/AMD schemes had been
> implemented, through I don't know if it's been merged, or had any serious
> performance tuning.  My main intent was to raise this as a potentially
> viable alternative.  Someone who actually cares about the answer can figure
> out the details and cobble together some benchmarks :-)

Well, if we see no answers and see no interest it probably isn't a viable
alternative as no interest typically means no code.

--
paul moore
virtualization @ redhat