qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: raw device support for block device targets

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: raw device support for block device targets
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 10:45:06 +0000

--On 8 December 2011 13:40:57 +0100 Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:

qemu-img convert appears to support block devices as input, but not
as output. That is irritating, as when using qemu-img convert to
convert qcow to raw on a block partition, an intermediate file has
to be used, which slows things down and pointlessly uses disk space.

The problem is that ftruncate() is being called on the output file
in order ensure it is sufficiently large, and this fails on
block devices.

Creating an image on a block device shouldn't even call raw_create(),
but only hdev_create(), which doesn't try to truncate the device, but
just uses lseek to make sure that it's large enough.

Which qemu version are you using and what's your command line?

I was testing on:

address@hidden:~$ qemu-img --version
qemu-img version 0.12.3, Copyright (c) 2004-2008 Fabrice Bellard

though the patch was against current trunk.

Command line simply:

qemu-img convert -O raw test.qcow /dev/xyz

Fails on ftruncate() as verified with strace.

I must admit I only 'tested' on trunk by reading the source.

--
Alex Bligh