qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Dropping the MONITOR_CMD_ASYNC

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Dropping the MONITOR_CMD_ASYNC
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:26:23 -0600

On 12/12/2011 10:08 AM, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:50:46 +0200
Alon Levy<address@hidden>  wrote:

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 05:45:44PM -0200, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
Hi there,

I'm about to completely drop the MONITOR_CMD_ASYNC API, but it turns out that
the command client_migrate_info uses it. That's a legacy interface and has to
be dropped, no command should be using it...

Why has it got to be dropped? can't it be declared as deprecated first?

Well, after this thread looks like it's what we'll have to do...\

Nope, it has to be dropped.

Commands using CMD_ASYNC may fail in arbitrary ways because of the way error reporting is done. This is an unfixable problem until we eliminate all uses of qerror_report().

We need to take the hit here and force the command to always fail. libvirt will need logic to use a different command with new versions. If we coordinate this with the libvirt folks, we can make the transition as smooth as possible.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Something tells me that if I just drop it (and change the command to use the
regular interface), bad things will happen. Am I right? :)