qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Object Model status/merge plan

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QEMU Object Model status/merge plan
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:05:24 +0100

Am 13.12.2011 14:43, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> On 12/13/2011 05:35 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>> I choose the serial device to showcase what we'll eventually be able to do.
>>>   The three relevant files are:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/aliguori/qemu/blob/qom-next/hw/isa-serial.c
>>>
>>> https://github.com/aliguori/qemu/blob/qom-next/hw/mm-serial.c
>>>
>>> https://github.com/aliguori/qemu/blob/qom-next/hw/serial.c
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand how init functions are called for derived
>> classes.
>
> There are three types of init functions:
>
> class_init
> ==========
>
> This lives in (TypeInit) and is called when a class is first created for a
> type.
>   It is only ever called once.  Within this function, you should override any
> methods in your base classes and set default implementations for any methods
> you
> implement.

I guess in most cases this could be replaced by a static table and the
function could be made optional? (That is, there could be a default
implementation for the NULL case)

> instance_init
> =============
>
> This is the constructor for a type.  It is called when an object is created
> and
> chained such that the base class constructors are called first to initialize
> the
> object.

Same for this one, in your serial code it looks like this doesn't do
anything interesting in the common case and could be made optional (it
adds an UART child device, but this is static property and should be
moved anyway)

I think even in the future the really interesting work will be done in
realize.

Kevin