qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:40:05 +0000

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 07:16:02PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 07:04:54PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:02:59PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > > I would like to point out that August -> October is a pretty long
> > > time period for a regression like this to exist.  I think that
> > > really indicates that the primary problem is testing, not frequency
> > > of SeaBIOS updates.
> >
> > Fair point.
> >
> > My understanding is we're going to switch to having qemu.git in Fedora
> > Rawhide, which means that libguestfs will always be testing the
> > 'perfect storm' of qemu + kernel + glibc from git (once glibc get
> > their act together anyhow, just qemu + kernel at first).
> >
> > We usually do a build and a comprehensive test at least once a week,
> > often a few times a week, so we would have picked this up much sooner.
>
> That wouldn't actually catch this problem, because when we build
> QEMU in Fedora, we never use the SeaBIOS that QEMU includes in
> GIT. Fedora always ships the newest SeaBIOS release available
> from upstream, regardless of what QEMU includes.

Ah yes indeed, I forgot about this.

Nevertheless, it'll at least improve other aspects of our
qemu testing :-)

binary blobs aren't permitted, no matter what the origin.  We
have to build SeaBIOS from source, and the choice is made to
build from the upstream SeaBIOS source, not from the source
release indirectly pointed to by qemu.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/