qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OEM Windows in Qemu

From: inbox
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OEM Windows in Qemu
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 23:11:08 -0700

>"My patch" does not produce any SLIC at all. The instructions mentions
>using SLIC from your machine - "my patch" is just a way to _embed_ a given
>data into VM, not a way to "produce" anything. You get in your VM what
>you have outside, either in a file or in your own BIOS, depending on where
>you took that data from.

Right, I meant to say simply that it did copy the SLIC in a recognizable
form and embed it into the BIOS.

>Yes, the patch only changes RSDT to match SLIC - this is what win7 verifies,
>all other tables does not matter for win7. And yes, it might be different
>for winXP - you may try setting all tables in VM to be of DELL OEM and see
>what happens.

I had high hopes for this, but no joy.  All the DMI tables now read Dell
Inc but XP refuses to activate.  I think the key is those specific
memory addresses I mentioned earlier.  I tried raw write of "Dell Inc"
into the specified address space, but there are 2 problems with this.
First is that the address space already contains data so I overwrote
something.  Second even then Windows did not activate, I think the
activation check only occurs at certain times, probably on boot, so I
made my changes after it checked and it didn't check again and so didn't
see the changes I made.

I need to modify the BIOS to contain the string so it is visible on boot
without me having to manually edit it.  Is there a way to hardcode the
string into a specific memory address when I compile the BIOS?

Brian