qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 2/6] qtest: add support for target-i386 -M pc

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v2 2/6] qtest: add support for target-i386 -M pc
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:40:49 +0000

On 1 December 2011 18:43, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> This involves forcing the CPU into the halted state if qtest is enabled and
> replacing the local APIC with the qtest interrupt controller.
>
> It should be pretty straight forward to do the same for other machine types on
> other architectures.

Having to modify every machine type seems to me like a huge red flag that this
is the wrong approach for device level tests. Surely the right thing is to
(a) instantiate the device (b) manipulate it via its publicly exposed interfaces
(ie the memory regions, gpio signals, irqs, etc etc) ?

Alternatively if you're just testing features of the device as it
is wired up on the board then you want something that generates an
image that can just be run on the unmodified QEMU model; that then
lets you cross check by running your tests on real hardware.

-- PMM