qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:10:50 +0000

On 29 December 2011 17:56, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 07:49 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> I suspect that if we set the bar for new board and device models
>> that high then the result will largely be that we don't in fact
>> get new board or device models.)
>
> If just doubles the effort, I disagree.

If you turn a six month project into a twelve month project
I suspect that will push it beyond the "worth doing" limit
in many cases. (Or more likely, people just won't bother to
send their models upstream, and we'll have more forks out there.)

> Even if that turns out to be the case, it's fine.  Better to
> have a few good devices than dozens of bad ones.

This is easier to say on the x86 side of the fence, since
most of the devices you need are already in the codebase and
nobody is going to throw them out again if tests don't get
written for them :-)

There are lots of things where I'd rather have a "tested by
booting a guest OS" implementation than none at all (like audio
support for the versatile/etc boards, which went in recently) or
TrustZone support (not in yet but may be along later). At least
then we have something that works for most people and something
we can fix bugs in, rather than a gaping hole in capability.

-- PMM