qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for Tuesday 3

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for Tuesday 3
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:54:29 +0000

On 2 January 2012 13:46, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> * when can we expect to be able to model SoCs rather than CPUs? Will
> this affect command line usage - are we going to have '-device
> ti-tms570' rather than '-cpu cortex-r4' then, or -cpu overriding the
> container's default?

My initial inclination is to say that specifying the CPU on the
command line is almost always the wrong thing for ARM platforms
(now or in a future QOM world). For instance, if you start the
vexpress-a9 board with something other than -cpu cortex-a9 it won't
complain but it won't do the right thing either (you'll get the
private peripherals for the A9 with whatever CPU core you asked for).

I don't think you want to have the user specifying -device my-soc
on the command line either -- the user should be selecting a board
(machine) model, which will generally nail down which soc and cpu
are used.

-cpu foo is most useful for linux-user mode.

> Are
> CPU features being refactored (standardized) for QOM or should we copy
> current x86 code for controlling ARM FPU?

There's a patch to add cpu feature support here:
https://github.com/jowinter/qemu-trustzone/commit/421a2a71daa141da50c54997948d2a6d23013bd4
which I'm hoping will be submitted upstream...

-- PMM