qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 09:57:55 +0100

  Hi,

>> Better use a empty string as romfile argument, that will make the ROM
>> pci bar go away instead of creating one with an invalid rom.
>
> Thnx. Works well by specifying no romfile, that's the trick. I had the
> problem than otherwise devices were created. But I'm still getting the
> following iPXE rom message:
> iPXE v1.0.0-591-g7aee315
> iPXE (http://ipxe.org) 00:03.0 CA00 PCI2.10 PnP PMM+0FFCA670+0FF8A670 CA00
>
> How to disable it, too?

It shouldn't be there.  I guess you've trapped into automagic device
creation logic in qemu.  When neither -net nor -netdev is specified on
the command line qemu creates a default network setup for you, which
includes a nic, and that probably is the rom of the automagically
created nic.

Try "qemu -netdev user,id=mynet -device rtl8139,romfile=,netdev=mynet",
then it should work as expected.

HTH,
  Gerd