qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE

From: Gerhard Wiesinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:09:44 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Gleb Natapov wrote:

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:23:02AM +0100, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

On 01/04/12 19:02, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
Hello,

I'm having the following boot order problem using an SCSI option ROM:

Still boots the cdrom instead of harddisk. So it is impossible to have a
bootable CDROM in the VM without booting from it.

-option-rom romfile=/root/roms/8xx_64.rom,bootindex=1

Ok, works well, but I think than "-boot order=c" is buggy, right?

Wrong. "-boot order=c" tells seabios to boot from a HD, but for that
Seabios needs to actually know what is HD and what is not. Since Seabios
does not support scsi controller natively it only sees pci device and
has no idea that you have scsi disk there. It uses pci option rom to
boot from this unknown device.

But as far as I remember therefore the option ROM registers through BIOS for INT 19h booting. So Seabios should know it that this is a harddisk.
I think this usecase is currently not supported.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
http://www.wiesinger.com/