qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE

From: Gerhard Wiesinger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:24:18 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
 Hi,

Better use a empty string as romfile argument, that will make the ROM
pci bar go away instead of creating one with an invalid rom.

Thnx. Works well by specifying no romfile, that's the trick. I had the
problem than otherwise devices were created. But I'm still getting the
following iPXE rom message:
iPXE v1.0.0-591-g7aee315
iPXE (http://ipxe.org) 00:03.0 CA00 PCI2.10 PnP PMM+0FFCA670+0FF8A670 CA00

How to disable it, too?

It shouldn't be there.  I guess you've trapped into automagic device
creation logic in qemu.  When neither -net nor -netdev is specified on
the command line qemu creates a default network setup for you, which
includes a nic, and that probably is the rom of the automagically
created nic.

Try "qemu -netdev user,id=mynet -device rtl8139,romfile=,netdev=mynet",
then it should work as expected.

Old command line (relevant parameters):
-net nic,model=rtl8139,macaddr=1a:46:0b:ca:bc:7c,vlan=0
-net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no,vlan=0
-device rtl8139,romfile= -net nic,model=pcnet,macaddr=1a:46:0b:ca:bc:7e,vlan=1
-net tap,ifname=tap1,script=no,downscript=no,vlan=1
-device pcnet,romfile=
So the net option is already there but it doesn't work.

Tried command line:
-netdev user,id=mynet
-net nic,model=rtl8139,macaddr=1a:46:0b:ca:bc:7c,vlan=0
-net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no,downscript=no,vlan=0
-device rtl8139,romfile=,netdev=mynet
-net nic,model=pcnet,macaddr=1a:46:0b:ca:bc:7e,vlan=1
-net tap,ifname=tap1,script=no,downscript=no,vlan=1
-device pcnet,romfile=,netdev=mynet
qemu-system-x86_64: -device pcnet,romfile=,netdev=mynet: Property 'pcnet.netdev' can't take value 'mynet', it's in use

I guess this might come from 2 NICs.

Any further ideas?

BTW: I had the problem with DUAL NICs that when vlan=x isn't specified whole network is dead. Is this the correct command line?
br0: received packet on tap0 with own address as source address
# http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2009-June/006222.html

config with tun devices:
brctl show
br0             8000.001fcff4d4ea       no              eth0
                                                        tap0
                                                        tap1

Thnx.

Ciao,