qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE

From: Kevin O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 20:53:02 -0500

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 07:27:25AM +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:05:39PM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > SeaBIOS could probably fall back to the harddrive priority if it finds
> > a BCV without an explicit bootindex priority.
> The same option rom probably will register bcv for SCSI CD/DVD too. Also
> are you sure pxe roms do not register bcv for network booting?

BCV is just for drives - network cards would use a BEV.  The BBS spec
isn't clear on whether BCV is just for harddrives (as opposed to
floppy/cd), but it seems to imply that.

I'm not sure what a SCSI rom would do with a CD drive.  My guess is
that it wouldn't map it to a BIOS visible drive id at all, as there's
no way to select an id with any assurance that it wont conflict with
one chosen by the BIOS or another rom.  If QEMU can simulate this (and
someone knows the command-line to do such) it would be an interesting
test to see what the rom does.

-Kevin