qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Please read: make check framework

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Please read: make check framework
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 10:28:09 -0600

On 01/09/2012 10:16 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 01/09/2012 06:04 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Hi,

I'm going to apply this series quickly and will start running 'make
check-quick' as part a sniff test before pushing patches.

I'd like to request that all maintainers/submaintainers do the same
and that everyone contributes unit tests to this target.

Good stuff.

The general rules for 'make check-quick':

  1) It must complete in less than 10 minutes start to finish (the
entire rule).  We can re-examine this over time but for now, it seems
like a reasonable limit.

  2) It must gracefully degrade across architectures/targets.  Do not
assume qemu-system-x86_64 is present or that an arm cross compiler is
available.

There's a cross compiler in Fedora, arm-gp2x-linux-gcc.x86_64.  Is it
suitable for make check?

It must degrade gracefully so if you probe for a cross compiler in configure and then disable/enable tests appropriately, that's fine.

But 'make check' should succeed and do something useful with only the dependencies required to build QEMU. It can test fewer things of course.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori