qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] State of KVM bits in linux-headers

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] State of KVM bits in linux-headers
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:34:30 +0200

On 01/11/2012 11:48 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:

> > Strictly from a QEMU perspective, we can't depend on APIs that aren't
> > committed upstream yet.

We can't release any qemu that depends on something not upstream.

> The question again is: When do we consider something upstream?

This far from a qemu release, we can consider anything in in kvm.git
master (or slightly trailing that, kvm.git linux-next) as upstream.
It's very rare that an ABI gets pulled out of that and not merged, and
if it is, we can pull out the qemu feature.  An ABI can change, but that
just means we need to echo the change in qemu.

As qemu gets closer to release, we'll need to look at Linus' tree
instead of kvm.git.

> >> right? And then after about 3 months we'll have the feature available ;).
> >
> > You can always just get Acked-by's from the appropriate maintainers.
> > That's just as good as going through the tree.
>
> So every time we change headers, I just require Avi's ack and then he can't
> complain on those patches later? Good idea! :)

Of course I can complain about my patches later.

Complained-about-by: Avi Kivity <address@hidden>

But yes, if your change involves multiple subsystem, get it through the
most affected subsystem and get acks from the rest.