qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] unknown keycodes

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] unknown keycodes
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:41:56 +0000

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 09:56:46AM +0100, Daniel Espling wrote:
> Hi!
>
> getting the following message:
>
> unknown keycodes `empty_aliases(qwerty)', please report to address@hidden
>
> I'm connecting to a ubuntu 10.04 server running qemu 1.0.50 forwarding X11.
> Locally I'm on a Macbook pro with Swedish keyboard layout. When I run qemu my
> keyboard is totally messed up (Enter becomes j, j becomes 7 etc.). Running
> with -k en-us works but restricts me to english characters (swedish characters
> generates keysym errors, which is expected)

Unfortunately, the SDL code as written pretty much only copes with an XFree86
server running on a Linux host. Running any kind of X server on OS-X or
Windows and forwarding to an app running Linux will result in fubar keyboard
mappings as you see.

The problem is that keymapping code assumes that it is getting either a'xt'
or 'evdev' based keycodes from the X server. On OS-X you instead get a
variant on Mac OS keycodes which are completely different.

I've solved this problem in GTK-VNC by adding checks for the OS-X and Win32
X servers:

  http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-vnc/tree/src/vncdisplaykeymap.c

Can you provide the output of  'xdpyinfo' and 'xprop -root | grep XKB'
just so I can confirm my code will work. If so, I'll port the GTK-VNC
code to QEMU's  SDL display to fix this.

Regards,
Daniel